One of the problems that online store owners face every day is shopping cart abandonment. According to statistics, the percentage is higher than 70%, that is, 3 out of 4 carts are abandoned without completing a purchase.
The use of marketing automation for eCommerce allows online stores regardless of their platform to sell more efficiently, saving time and money. Among its advantages, we can point out that these tools allow you to segment your audience, group users into blocks, and personalize the user experience, among other functionalities.
To use marketing automation in your online store, there are several options on the market that you can consider that have excellent performance. Among the best platforms are Connectif, Sales Manago, Nosto, ActiveCampaign, E-goi, HubSpot, and MailChimp. However, our recommendation for Prestashop stores are the Connectif and ActiveCampaign platforms thanks to their multiple functionalities.
What are the causes of shopping cart abandonment?
The reasons for a user to abandon their shopping cart are many, starting with technical problems to factors such as shipping costs. In this sense, we offer you a list of the most frequent causes of shopping cart abandonment.
- They do not offer expedited shipping or less than 24 hours.
- They do not offer discount coupons.
- The price of the products is confusing.
- Concern about insecurity in payment processing.
- Research of the product for subsequent acquisition.
- Need to create a new user account.
- High or unexpected shipping cost
- They do not offer free shipping.
How to recover shopping carts in Prestashop?
If you are the owner of a Prestashop store, you have the battle won, since Prestashop offers different modules that will allow you to expand the functionalities of your online store.
One of the best modules for this purpose is the “Abandoned Cart Reminder Pro” which automates the entire process. Its benefits are multiple, including
- Increase in conversions: this module will allow you to improve the conversions of your store through reminders sent to the customer indicating that they have loaded products in their cart and inviting them to complete their order. These messages are sent to customers through emails and will allow you to offer them a special discount on their purchases.
- Increased productivity: these reminders are sent to users automatically, up to three times, automatically offering discount coupons for each of the customers and inviting them to complete the purchase.
- Simple configuration: configuring this module is very easy since it has simple options, which will allow you to create email templates and coupons in just a few steps.
- Developed by Prestashop: this module is developed by the Prestashop team of programmers and offers a stable and robust module, which ensures proper functioning in your Prestashop store.
- Compatibility: this module is compatible with versions from 126.96.36.199 to the latest of 1.7.x. If you still have old versions, it is recommended that you update to the latest version.
- Documentary support: Prestashop offers a large amount of documentation in Spanish that will allow you to clarify any questions about the configuration or operation of the module.
- Multilingual: it has several languages, including Spanish.
- Technical support: Prestashop offers with the purchase of the module, free support for three months. This will allow you to be attended to by the support team to solve any questions or problems.
What are the functionalities of the Abandoned Cart Reminder – Pro module?
Among the functionalities of this module are the following:
- Personalized emails: the module will generate personalized emails for each of the customers, indicating their name and the products they have included in their shopping cart.
- Creation of email templates: you can send emails with great appeal, similar to that of your online store.
- Creation of a multilingual template: it will allow you to send emails in the language of each of the clients.
- Variety of templates: the module allows you to create a variety of different reminder templates for the same customer. In this way, you can personalize each of the emails and offer different types of discounts or services for finalizing the purchase.
- Personalized coupons: you can create personalized discount coupons, either by purchase price range or by establishing fixed or percentage discount percentages.
- Free shipping coupons: as this is one of the most frequent reasons for cart abandonment, you can offer free shipping coupons to customers who have abandoned their purchase.
- Email scheduling: it will allow you to assign the time for sending the first email, the second, and the third automatically.
- End of automatic email: the moment the user completes the purchase, the automatic sending of the scheduled emails stops.
Configuration of the module “Abandoned cart reminder – Pro”
The “Abandoned Cart Reminder Pro” module is quick to set up. First of all, we recommend using the “first steps” option that will provide you with the module’s utilities. It is also useful to download the documentation available in PDF format.
Goal and Frequency
There are some aspects of the module that are important to know. The first one is the configuration of the emails to send and the frequency of them. It is recommended to send a maximum of three emails per abandoned cart, with a frequency that can be from one hour to a specific number of days.
There is no ideal formula to configure it as it depends on the products and prices. The module allows you to carry out different configuration tests until you find the most suitable one for your online store.
The configuration, by default, establishes the sending of the first email after two hours of abandoning the shopping cart; If the purchase is not processed, it will send a second email after two days and finally send the last email after five days. However, you can configure the reminder cycle according to your criteria.
It is the section that will allow you to configure the email templates that you will send to your users in order to subtly convince them to complete the purchase. You can make different templates and in different languages.
First of all it is necessary to define the subject of the email, remember that this is vital since it depends on whether the user opens your email. You can use the variables you want, among which you will find name, surname, gender, content of the cart, link to the store and to cancel the subscription to the mailing list and text with the discount coupon.
You can also choose the template design, one column or two, with a header and footer. Likewise, you can easily customize colors and texts.
This is the section that will allow you to create the various discount coupons, being able to offer discounts for quantity, percentages or free shipping. Once you define the discounts, their duration and the amount, you select the type of email that you are going to use in each case.
You can define a variable discount range, depending on the total number of items in the cart, establishing price ranges and / or discounts. Likewise, you can configure the language of the coupons or discounts based on the ones you have installed in your online store.
Activation of reminders
In this section you can configure the urls for the configuration of scheduled tasks, if you do not activate this function the emails will not be sent. You must configure 3 urls for each email through the scheduled tasks manager, indicating the frequency.
In case your hosting does not allow scheduled tasks, you can opt for an external service for this purpose, such as easycron.com.
This section compiles all the module’s statistics, allowing you to filter the emails as well as the frequency based on the results, which will allow you to determine what caused the cart abandonment. Likewise, you will be able to access the sent and opened emails, those who have clicked on the link, and the carts for each reminder.
Any online store with a certain number of visits, usually has a significant abandonment of carts, regardless of the size of the store.
In this sense, it is vital to check that you have your store optimized so that it works correctly and to encourage users to complete their purchases. You could certainly carry out a management task, however, it would take a lot of time and resources, so the best option is to acquire a module that does the work for you, therefore we recommend the Abandoned carts reminder – Pro module.
If you are the owner of an online store, it is convenient that you use specialized Prestashop personnel to support you in the automation process of your online store and make sure that the settings are the most appropriate.
Klaviyo: the best alternative to «Abandoned cart reminder – Pro»
Although “Abandoned Cart Reminder – Pro” is, without a doubt, the best module to recover abandoned carts in a Prestashop store, there is an even more complete alternative: Klaviyo.
Klaviyo is the most advanced email marketing automation system out there. Not only does it allow you to segment customers based on their behavior and customize your email to suit each user, but it also offers detailed reports on web analytics and A / B testing.
Furthermore, it is optimized to maximize the performance of abandoned cart emails. To do this, it analyzes data in real-time and allows the creation of automated flows based on user interaction with the store at all times.
For example, you can send a recovery email shortly after a cart is abandoned and then, with a time in between, issue a second email based on the user’s response to the first. Or, if the user has never bought in the store, send a discount code and then a follow-up email to take advantage of the said discount within a limited period of time.
Currently, Clavijo has more than 300,000 clients around the world and integrates seamlessly with the main e-commerce platforms. And that includes, of course, Prestashop. You can try it for free up to 250 subscribers and from then on, if it was useful, hire the service. Something that I recommend you without thinking twice.